We have 7 characters in our piece
- Monkey Twins
But what they all have in common is their shape. They all have the same body and head shape. So we decided that it would be far better if we where model a base Geo and then we could build each Onezie’s personal traits on top of that. It would have having to model a body and a head each time a new model has to begin.
I began to model the base Geo first in Zbrush, however I was having a major issue with it – it didnt look like our conecpt drawings atal! There was 0 depth in it. Look at a babies cheeks and neck for example, the are chubby. Smooth skin, but with depth in it.
Source of info: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/d6/33/23/d633232723c2695375468fcf8a9fbfad.jpg
This is what I came up with first of all.
However from this piece, you can see that it looks nothing like what we want to aim for, infact it looks terrifying.
Andrew then went away and done a new concept drawing and I too my model back into Maya to get a better shape working from the image plane.
However, after consulting with the team, we decided that it would be best if Andrew took over from modelling the base Geo. He has done stuff like this previously ad he knows how to get the right topology and this was the result.
As I’m sure you can tell, this looks a lot more like what we want. There is a lot of depth in around the cheeks and I love it! Now it is a case of splitting the characters up between us and working on them
New Base Geo
After a discussion with the group on Monday, we decided that the base Geo which we had wasnt right. It didnt look like the wee onezies anymore. So myself and Cricky stayed in late on Tuesday and got the new base Geo created. We stuck closely to Anthony’s drawings this time instead of Andrew’s concept art.
We went abck and done some more research on childrens TV shows . Looking closesly at the characters faces and we noticed that they are all very smooth and no real facial defination.
Source of info: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a2/ea/5c/a2ea5c61a50646cef2748cc21ba91c73.jpg
Source of info: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/37/97/5a/37975aa591b31700f8b63535c12e8f7f.jpg
Source of info: http://image.shutterstock.com/z/stock-photo–d-funny-character-sweet-blue-eyed-baby-boy-icon-smiling-cartoon-child-in-blue-outfit-isolated-on-185223533.jpg
We then talked to Greg and he told us to look at the artist ‘Darren E. Marshall.
“Darren Marshall has been creating characters for film and television for over 23 years. Beginning at Jim Henson’s Creature Shop in London followed by Mackinnon and Saunders where he spent nine years sculpting and painting characters for stop-motion animated features, TV shows and commercials.”
You can see from these images that we used the image planes which where alot more like Anthony’s drawings (Credit to Cricky for drawing the T-Poses. We modelled half the ehad and then duplicate special it over.
We added in a colour (not the final colour) just a lambert so that it would be easier for ourselves to define the different pieces of Geo.
After that, we created the dickybow and also the strap for the dickybow. After that it was just touching up a few things, such as the shape of the hood and the head.
Changing the neck
One thing that was pointed out to us by Alec and Mike, was that the neck didnt quite seem right, from the side. It didnt cut in enough. If you look at the image below, you can see that it cuts in where the neck meets the shoulders.
Source of Info: http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/baby-figure-front-side-back-view-beautiful-body-boy-character-child-vector-illustration-55757947.jpg
So is was the before and after, the left side one is it before and the new being on the right hand side. As you can see, it just looks a lot more natural!
Source of info: http://dmarshallart.com/