First Edit & Feedback

So today we had to show our first edit.  This was our last class (Thursday 28th April).  We had to show what we had and then we where given feedback on that and then given 2 weeks to make the changes.

We know that the animation in it is not up to scratch, nor is the compositing or the actual edit itself, but we wanted to have a start to finish piece so that our tutors and classmates could really go through it and give us good feedback.

Feedback, shot by shot.


  • Fix the animation
  • Pull the blanket over him
  • Change the blinks to make consistent
  • Make the plane sway in the background


  • More decoration
  • Subsurface on the face
  • Too much head movement
  • Swap 5A and 5B around
  • Turn light intensity down
  • Vary the grass height


  • Sub-surface on the face
  • Swap with previous shot
  • To much head movement


  • Position Benji closer to the camera so that it feels up screen left
  • Turn down the light facing the front of the owl so it matches the next shot


  • Put a flower in Owl’s hand
  • Close the mouth
  • Animate the eyebrows
  • Make the butterflies bigger and on screen longer
  • More books
  • Fix the subsurface/lighting issue from behind the Owl


  • Create a new shot.  Just flowers at the bottom of the screen with her flying against a sky background.
  • Make the wings flap


  • Punch in so she is mainly against blue sky with just the high flowers at the bottom of screen


  • Fix Ollie Animation
  • Reflection on the surfboard
  • Caustic light so that the water reflects of Ollie
  • Flowers growing along the pathway where Benji runs up
  • Close Ollie’s mouth
  • More magical stuff around the waterfall
  • Sub-surface on both characters


  • Mushroom in the BG, move it up and roto out the bottom
  • Stabilize the shot
  • Parent the starfish to the stone
  • Subsurface on the face


  • Sub-surface on the face
  • Animation
  • Take Benji of screen
  • Decorate the scene with more circus stuff
  • Circus platform with a ball on top
  • Push the male monkey further back
  • Feather out the defocus more


  • Sub-surface on the characters face
  • Create a new shot


  • Same as above


  • Fix the animation
  • Fix the subsurface on the faces
  • Lighting
  • Dress the scene up more
  • Have Logo come through the middle.

As you can see, there is a lot of work to be done, however it is for the best and it will make our piece much better and therefore allow us to get more marks.

New Bee Scene

One thing we have been asked to do, is to create a new Bee shot.  They felt that it just wasnt working what we had.  She is meant to be in a flower garden.  So why not just create a load of flowers and have her floating above them.


You can see from the images above, there is not real order to the positioning of the flowers.  They are jst scattered all over the place.

Lauren asked me to have a look at this, so the idea is to just create a load of flowers with a sky BG and then have the Bee floating above the flowers.  This was pretty simple to do thanks to Paint effects in Maya.  I just create a load of flowers and positioed them infront of the camera.  I really mixed all of the flowers up so that there was a nice mix.

Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 22.59.18.pngScreen Shot 2016-04-29 at 23.03.57.pngScreen Shot 2016-04-29 at 23.24.48.png

I then just pulled the camera up a wee bit and this is what it looked like. Lovely and exactly what we need.

Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 23.26.56.png

Note:  We shoed this to Aimee, however she wasn’t happy with it and we reverted back to the original shot, only added a lot more flowers in.

New Dexter Scene

Connan felt that the wide shot on Dexter wasn’t working, but the close up did.  So we couldn’t use one without using the other, so what we done was we looked through our stock footage which we had and then found a nice shot which allows for Benji to run along a path on screen left and for Dexter to be on Screen right collecting stuff.

I then had to go in and track this shot and create the ground plane again.  Because we shot in such high resolution, I was able to scale up the wide shot and focus on a certain area, which will work for the close up.

Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 10.27.53.pngScreen Shot 2016-04-30 at 10.28.21.png

Subsurface Scatter

This was one of the main pieces of feedback we got.  They loved the subsurface on the face in the opening scene in the bedroom, but then they felt it wasnt working when it switched to live action. The face was only interacting with the lights in the scene.  There was no actual lights created for just the face.

So what I done was I took the lights which where affecting Benji’s face in the bedroom scene and imported them into the other scene and linked them to affect just the face of the character.  This worked out perfectly.  All I had to do was go in and tweak some of the settings etc, but other than that, I was very happy with the process.

Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 16.08.50.pngScreen Shot 2016-04-30 at 14.38.02.pngScreen Shot 2016-04-30 at 15.31.25.png

We then made a list of all the changes we have to make and printed them out.  Once we get each thing done, we will tick it off.


Source of info:

Source of info:

Source of info:





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s